DAVID SHAW, SENIOR CONSULTANT
David Shaw, FSA, MAAA
David Shaw is a consulting actuary in the St. Louis office of A.V. Powell & Associates. He joined the firm in 2019. David has over 30 years of consulting experience with retirement programs, including post-retirement health care benefits, defined benefit plans and defined contribution plans. His past experience includes positions with nationally recognized and regional consulting firms, working with employers across all industries in the private, public, and not-for profit sectors.
David’s responsibilities with A.V. Powell & Associates include performing actuarial studies and consulting with clients, research and development of actuarial assumptions, and peer review of client deliverables.
- Evaluated benefit competitiveness and cost considerations in redesigning a hospital’s retirement program for its employees
- Provided cost containment ideas for controlling retiree medical costs for a Fortune 500 company
- Authored articles for company newsletter and external publications
- Administered employer sponsored retirement benefits
- Participated in due diligence and development of a benefits program integration strategy for a major acquisition of a Fortune 500 company
- Developed age-weighted retiree health care premium rates
- Created actuarial reports for new public sector benefits accounting standards
- Actuarial assumption experience studies
- Actuarial valuation studies, forecasts, and sensitivity analyses
- Master of Business Administration, 1986, University of Missouri
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Missouri S&T University, 1984