AV POWELL, ASA, MAAA, FOUNDER AND CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER
AV Powell is an actuary specializing in financial consulting for retirement communities. Based in Atlanta, he formed A.V. POWELL & ASSOCIATES in 1982 and pioneered the application of actuarial techniques to retirement community financial statement projections. AV has participated in more than 400 comprehensive actuarial studies for retirement communities throughout the United States. He has published several articles and books dealing with the financial aspects of CCRCs, including CCRCs: An Empirical, Financial and Legal Analysis and “Retirement Communities: Assessing the Liability of Alternative Health Care Guarantees.”
At A.V. POWELL & ASSOCIATES, he is responsible for practice development and peer review of all consulting engagements.
- Supervised the development and implementation of the first actuarially based PC software to be used exclusively for the financial analysis and projection of CCRCs.
- Conducted more than 20 actuarial feasibility studies that have resulted in $1 billion in credit-enhanced bond financings for new starts and expansion projects for nonprofit CCRCs.
- Developed first set of actuarial tables for mortality, morbidity, and life expectancies based solely on the experience of the largest resident movement database in the CCRC industry. These industry-representative tables are used exclusively in the firm’s consulting projects.
- Provided actuarial analysis for three of four pilot studies that were funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to apply the continuing care concept for seniors residing in their own homes, referred to as “lifecare without walls.”
- Actuarial feasibility studies
- Software design
- Continuing care contract analysis
- Doctoral coursework completed in Risk and Insurance 1979
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- M.A.S. in Actuarial Science 1976
Georgia State University
- A.B. in Statistics 1975
- American Academy of Actuaries (AAA)
- Chair, Committee on Continuing Care Retirement Communities, AAA, 1985 – 1991
- Specialty Committee of the Actuarial Standards Board, AAA, 1991 – 1993
- Long-term Care Committee, AAA, 1997 – 1998
- Task Force on Long-term Care, AAA, 1999 – 2003
- Conference of Consulting Actuaries (CCA)
- Society of Actuaries (SOA)
- Financial Advisory Panel, Continuing Care Accreditation Commission, 1989 – 1991
- CCRC Solvency Task Force, AAHSA, 1993
- National Academy of Social Insurance (NASI)