MICHAEL HOPPER, CPA, CHIEF ACCOUNTING OFFICER
Mike Hopper is a senior consultant in A.V. POWELL & ASSOCIATES’ Atlanta office where he supervises comprehensive actuarial studies and directs operational audit and reengineering engagements. He has been a client of or consultant with A.V. POWELL & ASSOCIATES since 2000.
Mike is a certified public accountant who served as chief financial officer for three large CCRCs (one a multi-facility) in the mid-Atlantic region. In this capacity, he administered business and financial operations, budget preparation and planning, and fiscal analyses, and played a key role in providing the feasibility study for the refinancing of tax-exempt revenue bonds. Using A.V. POWELL & ASSOCIATES’ FORCAST software for over a decade, Mike prepared trend/benchmarking reports and financial ratio comparisons for the CCRCs’ finance committees. He has extensive experience with accounting, billing, and database software programs as well as Windows NT and Unix systems.
- Conducted several preliminary actuarial feasibility studies for new-start CCRCs in preparation for credit-enhanced bond financing.
- Assisted in design of GAAP financial statement report generator for FORCAST software.
- Served as a key member in $20 million refinancing of tax-exempt revenue bonds with savings estimated at $3.4 million.
- Prepared budget and financial planning for a $28 million, 800+ unit CCRC.
- Implemented and maintained company-wide Windows NT and Unix operating system with over 100 workstations.
- Using factory-installed database software, developed a database file system to improve retrieval and reporting of resident and employee information.
- Managed the installation and implementation of financial accounting software MAS90 and FRX for multi-facility CCRC.
- Comprehensive actuarial studies
- Operations review and reorganization
- FORCAST training and support with emphasis on GAAP financial statement projections
- Education of CCRC board members, management, and residents
- Preparation of estimate of future service obligations for audit report compliance
- B.S. in Accounting 1982
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Georgia Society of Certified Public Accountants (GSCPA)
- Financial Advisory Panel, Continuing Care Accreditation Commission 2004 – 2007